Access control via number plate: As the Amalfi Coast groans under tourist crowds in summer, the world-famous coastal road will be partially closed this year for the first time. The info...
The UNESCO World Heritage Site Amalfi Coast is threatened by a motorcade. Almost 4,000 people live in places like Positano on the Amalfi Coast. In summer, thousands of tourists come there - every day. Tour buses every ten minutes.
The picturesque coastal road has become a curse for the locals. We are talking about the world-famous Strade Statale 163 between Meta di Sorrento and Vietri sul Mare.
From now on, the numbers on the number plate determine whether you are allowed to pass, according to the local newspaper "Positano News". On odd days, only cars with odd numbers in their number plates are allowed to pass, on even days, only cars with even numbers in their number plates are allowed to pass.
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its hands
- ATTENTION, DISCOVERY - The tourist traps in ROME
- BUONGIORNO! -Why everyone in Italy is a dottore
In July, the regulation only applies for the weekend. In August, the regulation applies from Monday to Sunday. Exceptions: Residents, local public transport and taxis. Two-wheelers are also not affected.
Travellers passing through could use the motorway road as a bypass. Those who spend their holidays directly on the coast cannot avoid the Strada Statale 163. The amount of the fine for violations is not yet known.
Tips for your holiday planning
If you still need inspiration - here's a list of really good ones Links for bookingFrom flight comparisons, bus and train connections, accommodation and insurance to excursions and entertainment programmes.
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its handsFull body effort is also required when speaking in Italy. Scientists have discovered why people in Bella Italia talk with their hands.
- ATTENTION, DISCOVERY - The tourist traps in ROMEThe eternal city, incredibly beautiful and incredibly old. In order to have good memories of your visit to Rome, you should avoid the rip-off traps.
- BUONGIORNO! -Why everyone in Italy is a dottoreItaly without a title is like Italy without spaghetti. In the land of Ferrari, Gucci & Co. it's not simply "Mr" or "Mrs"! A little flattery does not hurt.
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- SOPHIA LOREN - The story of a super divaSophia Loren (88), the super diva from Italy, A skinny girl from Naples who becomes Hollywood's favourite. In show business for 60 years.
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetariansDepending on which region you are in Italy, you automatically eat vegetarian (or vegan). Everything you need to know about vegans and vegetarians in Italy...
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legendQuietly and secretly, the legendary place on the Adriatic has given itself a facelift. So much for 80s fustiness and permanent parties. Rimini, the whole story.
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along withGoosebumps, longing and memories you didn't even have. There are the Italian songs that go straight to the heart.
- PASTA-QUIZ - How well do you know Italian pasta?Lasagne, spaghetti, penne, cannelloni or tortellini: How good do you taste pasta from Italy? Are you a real connoisseur or do you eat everything on your plate?
first published 22 June 2022
Cover/Montage - Photo: ezypix/Getty Images Signature via canva.com