Let's not fool ourselves: With the vocabulary knowledge from the online course, we can only shine moderately in Italy. Speaking Italian in a matter-of-fact and calm manner could be downright disturbing in the land of the Grandi Emozioni...
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legend
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along with
An everyday conversation on the street sounds like great drama in Italy. Those gestures, those emozioni and then a torrent of words, or rather a flood of words. Beware: such "drama" could only be about the newly planned balcony planting.
The fact is: if you want to keep up in the bel paese, you have to speak Italian with emozioni. Try our three favourite phrases: guaranteed original.
1. your eyes are lined with ham.
>>> "Hai gli occhi foderati di prosciutto!!!"
Means: "Do you have tomatoes on your eyes - why can't you see that?" But why use tomatoes when you can have a slice of Parma ham? At least for the meat lovers among us.
In Italy, as we all know, life is bella. Even for those who check less. Speaking Italian can somehow also be tasted.
2. you have a chicken brain.
>>> "Hai un cervello di gallina..."
Means: "Wow, you're stupid." A sparrow's brain is smaller than a hazelnut. A chicken brain is as big as a walnut. In Germany, for example, you have a sparrow's brain (if you're stupid), in Italy you have a chicken's brain.
Does that mean that even the dumbest people from Italy are still twice as smart as those from Germany...?
3. you cut off the bull's head.
>>> Tagli la testa al toro!
Means: "Great, you are a real doer. You don't fiddle around for long". Why stack low when you can stack higher: Italians go straight for a bull. Sounds like heroics. Beware - it could just mean the extra thorough weekly cleaning of the hallway.
Addendum. To be honest, the average person in Italy is already happy if you can speak a few words in Italian. But, as we all know, it never hurts to have an ace up your sleeve.
P.S. What's your favourite phrase - we're working on a sequel.
Ready for a road trip?
"Discover Cars" works together with more than 500 car rental companies. With so much choice, you get very good prices.
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legendQuietly and secretly, the legendary place on the Adriatic has given itself a facelift. So much for 80s fustiness and permanent parties. Rimini, the whole story.
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along withGoosebumps, longing and memories you didn't even have. There are the Italian songs that go straight to the heart.
- ATTENTION, DISCOVERY - The tourist traps in ROMEThe eternal city, incredibly beautiful and incredibly old. In order to have good memories of your visit to Rome, you should avoid the rip-off traps.
- BUONGIORNO! -Why everyone in Italy is a dottore...Italy without a title is like Italy without spaghetti. In the land of Ferrari, Gucci & Co. it's not simply "Mr" or "Mrs"! A little flattery does not hurt.
- "Umarells", the pensioner stars - Look who's looking!Older gentlemen who observe - when parking, in collisions, but especially on construction sites. The "Umarells" from Bologna are the stars of the scene.
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
written by Pietro Perroni, first published 16.9.21 , updated 12.9.22
Cover photo/montage - Photo: Aaron Amat/Getty Images
Source: La Mamma