A mudslide goes off during a bad storm on the Italian island of Ischia on Saturday. At least eleven people die, one person is still missing. The rescue teams are working at full speed.
The destruction comes with tremendous force, a mixture of mud and debris. The force is so strong that the avalanche sweeps buses, houses, cars into the sea. Debris and rubble in the streets, roads, vehicles and houses in the mud. Early Saturday morning in the coastal town of Casamicciola in the north of Ischia, a horror storm. About 8,000 people live here. At least 11 of them did not survive the storm.
Two families wiped out
Among the dead are three siblings (two boys, †15, †11 and a girl, †6) and their parents. Their house does not survive the mudslide. So did the young couple and their three-week-old baby. In 2017, the couple had to leave their old home after an earthquake. The little family does not survive the landslide. The rescuers find two more dead women (31 and 58) during the rescue work.
Reinforcement for the recovery forces
🔴 #Ischia #nubifragio, prosegue l'intervento dei #vigilidelfuoco: sull'isola operano 64 unità tra cui esperti nella conduzione di mezzi per il movimento terra, specialisti sommozzatori, dronisti e elicotteristi [#26novembre 13:00] pic.twitter.com/WLhDqHurPy- Vigili del Fuoco (@vigilidelfuoco) November 26, 2022
The path of destruction from above
🔴 #Ischia #nubifragio, continua l'intervento dei #vigilidelfuoco per il soccorso alla popolazione: giunte squadre in rinforzo con i traghetti. Nella clip la ricognizione aerea con l'elicottero sulla zona di Casamicciola [#26novembre 12:30] pic.twitter.com/wydBu2fQt8- Vigili del Fuoco (@vigilidelfuoco) November 26, 2022
Mud masses destroy houses in which some of the missing people are said to be. The island fire brigade is in full operation, with 70 helpers on the scene. At the last moment, the firefighters rescue two people who are swept into the sea by the avalanche in their car. Reinforcements from the mainland cannot land at first because of the bad weather, but have arrived in the meantime, including 40 fire engines and recovery machines alone. Wind force 11 and heavy rain make the work difficult at times.
Several missing persons, including a woman and her infant, have already been found and are receiving medical care. The authorities are currently evacuating people from the trapped flats and houses.
Italy's head of government, Giorgia Meloni, thanks the rescue workers for their efforts, according to her office in Rome. She is in contact with the local authorities. The mayor of Ischia, Enzo Ferrandino, had already announced on Friday that schools, parks and cemeteries would be closed on Saturday because of the storm.
Firefighters evacuate a trapped family
🔴 #Ischia #nubifragio, continua il lavoro dei 70 #vigilidelfuoco impegnati sull'isola in soccorso della popolazione e nelle operazioni di ricerca dispersi. Nella clip l'evacuazione di una famiglia bloccata dal fango nella propria abitazione a Casamicciola [#26novembre 15:45] pic.twitter.com/4oa6rUk21n- Vigili del Fuoco (@vigilidelfuoco) November 26, 2022
In the past, Casamicciola was hit by natural disasters several times. On 28 July 1883, an earthquake almost completely destroyed the town, killing 1800 people. During an earthquake on 21 August 2017, several houses and a church collapsed.
In search of missing persons
🔴 #Ischia #nubifragio, 100 #vigilidelfuoco impegnati con 40 automezzi sull'isola: continuano i soccorsi alla popolazione e le operazioni di ricerca dispersi [#26novembre 19:45] pic.twitter.com/2avgjaMpSo- Vigili del Fuoco (@vigilidelfuoco) November 26, 2022
Interesting! Read on here...
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- EXQUISITE CUISINE - Record! 385 Michelin stars for ItalyA shower of stars for Bella Italia! In the new Michelin Guide, more stars than ever before go to Italy. Almost 400 Italian restaurants have been awarded.
- PASTA-QUIZ - How well do you know Italian pasta?Lasagne, spaghetti, penne, cannelloni or tortellini: How good do you taste pasta from Italy? Are you a real connoisseur or do you eat everything on your plate?
- GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA (†95) - The first Italian super diva: a country takes a bowRome - At her greatest times, she made the otherwise undercooled blonde beauties in Hollywood sweat. Gina Lollobrigida was an icon of international cinema.
- TOP 10! - These Italian films are blockbustersGreat cinema from Italy! Which Italian films have performed best in the cinemas? Here is the current TOP 10 ranking of the most successful movies of all time...
- ITALY FOREVER - 100 years lie between these photosThe longing for paradise. These (then) sensational photographs were taken a good 100 years ago. They show Italy as an enchanting dream world - for the first time in colour.
- CHEESE LOVE - Buffalo mozzarella, burrata or fior di latte?It's almost a feeling of being in love when you bite into mozzarella: Fresh, creamy milk flavour, delicately melting aromas. Seduction in white.
written by Pietro Perroni, first published on 26 November 2022