Madness has a name: Valentino Rossi (43). MotoGP legend, nine-time world champion, millions of fans worldwide. The city of Pesaro had the biggest motorbike helmet in the world built in his honour. VR46 comes to the inauguration on the two-wheeled...
- ITALY FOREVER - 100 years lie between these photos
- The Queen and Italy - With Glamour and Ravioli...
The Valentino Rossi phenomenon. Hundreds of people stand for hours in the blazing sun on Piazzale Gabriele D'Annunzio just to catch a glimpse of their idol. He retired from MotoGP at the end of 2021. That didn't hurt the love of the fans.
The conditions are brutal: 38 degrees, humidity 70 percent. The moderator does his best to keep the crowd awake. His shirt is wet front and back. The mood is good, but everyone is just waiting for the One.
Valentino Rossi is one of them. He grew up in the province of Pesaro and Urbino. To this day, the village of Tavullia is his home. Tens of thousands of fans make the pilgrimage here every year. In Pesaro and Urbino, the boys don't want to become footballers, but two-wheeled heroes.
Even before the inauguration on Monday evening (25 July 2022), the memorial to Rossi is making headlines around the world. Media worldwide are reporting on the planned installation. The dimensions of the XXL helmet: 4×6 metres. Title: "Un Casco da Leggenda".
All the big Italian TV channels are there, RAI Uno, Sky, more than 30 journalists. A Valentino Rossi attracts everyone.
"Vale, Vale, Vale" - the shouts in the crowd grow louder and louder. Mayor Matteo Ricci gives his laudation, the "Doctor" (Valentino Rossi's nickname) looks at his helmet, golden confetti cannons spray into the sultry evening sky.
Then comes the bath in the crowd. Of all the professional athletes, Valentino Rossi is number one. No fear of contact, no bodyguards. A tall, broad man from the security staff spontaneously steps in to clear the way.
The heat, the wet sweaty T-shirts don't matter. Every fan wants at least one autograph, preferably a photo as well. Adult men over 50 hold out their motorbike helmets to be signed. A little boy is so emotionally overwhelmed that he starts to cry.
Shouting, shoving, suddenly a huge guy comes from behind and tries to push everyone aside. A little commotion, but a Valentino Rossi stays cool, no matter how exhausting it must be. A big smile, sweat running down his forehead too. Selfies again and again.
After 43 minutes, the state of emergency is on. Valentino Rossi gets on his two-wheeler (a Yamaha TMAX) with his wife Francesca Sofia Novela (28) and rides home.
A MotoGP legend doesn't need a chauffeur...
Current Stories from Italy
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- SOPHIA LOREN - The story of a super divaSophia Loren (88), the super diva from Italy, A skinny girl from Naples who becomes Hollywood's favourite. In show business for 60 years.
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetariansDepending on which region you are in Italy, you automatically eat vegetarian (or vegan). Everything you need to know about vegans and vegetarians in Italy...
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its handsFull body effort is also required when speaking in Italy. Scientists have discovered why people in Bella Italia talk with their hands.
- CHEESE LOVE - Buffalo mozzarella, burrata or fior di latte?It's almost a feeling of being in love when you bite into mozzarella: Fresh, creamy milk flavour, delicately melting aromas. Seduction in white.
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legendQuietly and secretly, the legendary place on the Adriatic has given itself a facelift. So much for 80s fustiness and permanent parties. Rimini, the whole story.
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along withGoosebumps, longing and memories you didn't even have. There are the Italian songs that go straight to the heart.
Photos Ads: Amazon; Newman Studio/Getty Images & itsharp/Getty Images Signature, simonkr/getty images signature & Photo Netfalls via canva.com