The Italian heat is one thing. Decency is another. Because too many guests walked half-naked through Sorrento, the mayor has now issued dress codes. Toplessness and bikinis are now forbidden off the beach...
From now on, if you just want to grab a panino or an ice cream for the beach, you'll have to put something on when you're out and about in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast. The nudity of visitors has increased so much this summer that Mayor Massimo Coppola has set up dress codes.
On the one hand, the mayor fears for the good reputation and quality of life of his small town, and on the other hand, nudity "causes discomfort and unease" among the locals:
"For the majority of my constituents, bikini or topless walkers offend the decency that characterises civilised coexistence," Coppola told the English newspaper Times.
- SECRET TIP - What awaits you in APULIA
- BELLISSIMA! - What awaits you on Sicily...
- 8 reasons why Italy is particularly beautiful in winter
From now on, the local police have an extra eye on naked skin. If you are caught strolling half-naked, fines of up to 500 euros are possible. Sorrento is not an isolated case. In Praia a Mare (Calabria), wearing inappropriate clothing and even walking barefoot is also prohibited. In Rapallo (Liguria) there are extra street signs with clothing rules.
Here is Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast
Please click on the button if Google Maps is not displayed
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- SOPHIA LOREN - The story of a super divaSophia Loren (88), the super diva from Italy, A skinny girl from Naples who becomes Hollywood's favourite. In show business for 60 years.
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetariansDepending on which region you are in Italy, you automatically eat vegetarian (or vegan). Everything you need to know about vegans and vegetarians in Italy...
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its handsFull body effort is also required when speaking in Italy. Scientists have discovered why people in Bella Italia talk with their hands.
- CHEESE LOVE - Buffalo mozzarella, burrata or fior di latte?It's almost a feeling of being in love when you bite into mozzarella: Fresh, creamy milk flavour, delicately melting aromas. Seduction in white.
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legendQuietly and secretly, the legendary place on the Adriatic has given itself a facelift. So much for 80s fustiness and permanent parties. Rimini, the whole story.
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along withGoosebumps, longing and memories you didn't even have. There are the Italian songs that go straight to the heart.
written by Anni Kayser, first published on 11.7.22
Cover/Collage - Photos: Netfalls; wlablack/Getty Images via canva.com
Sources: own research; The Times/Philip Willan: "Mayor outlaws bikinis to spare Sorrento's blushes - Tourists threatened with €500 fines in Italian resort town".