The Italian heat is one thing. Decency is another. Because too many guests walked half-naked through Sorrento, the mayor has now issued dress codes. Toplessness and bikinis are now forbidden off the beach...
From now on, if you just want to grab a panino or an ice cream for the beach, you'll have to put something on when you're out and about in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast. The nudity of visitors has increased so much this summer that Mayor Massimo Coppola has set up dress codes.
On the one hand, the mayor fears for the good reputation and quality of life of his small town, and on the other hand, nudity "causes discomfort and unease" among the locals:
"For the majority of my constituents, bikini or topless walkers offend the decency that characterises civilised coexistence," Coppola told the English newspaper Times.
- 8 reasons why Italy is particularly beautiful in winter
- FRIAUL-JULIAN-VENETIA - Free train tickets with booking
- BELLISSIMA! - What awaits you on Sicily...
From now on, the local police have an extra eye on naked skin. If you are caught strolling half-naked, fines of up to 500 euros are possible. Sorrento is not an isolated case. In Praia a Mare (Calabria), wearing inappropriate clothing and even walking barefoot is also prohibited. In Rapallo (Liguria) there are extra street signs with clothing rules.
Here is Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast
Please click on the button if Google Maps is not displayed
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- TOP 10 with money - The richest women in ItalyWhile Italy's super-rich men make no secret of their billions, see Silvio Berlusconi, the richest women in the country are much more discreet.
- Italy's Metropolis - All You Need to Know about MILANItaly's economic engine, fashion metropolis, seven universities, gourmet paradise and financial centre: Milan has an incredible number of faces.
- EXQUISITE CUISINE - Record! 385 Michelin stars for ItalyA shower of stars for Bella Italia! In the new Michelin Guide, more stars than ever before go to Italy. Almost 400 Italian restaurants have been awarded.
- PASTA-QUIZ - How well do you know Italian pasta?Lasagne, spaghetti, penne, cannelloni or tortellini: How good do you taste pasta from Italy? Are you a real connoisseur or do you eat everything on your plate?
- GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA (†95) - The first Italian super diva: a country takes a bowRome - At her greatest times, she made the otherwise undercooled blonde beauties in Hollywood sweat. Gina Lollobrigida was an icon of international cinema.
- TOP 10! - These Italian films are blockbustersGreat cinema from Italy! Which Italian films have performed best in the cinemas? Here is the current TOP 10 ranking of the most successful movies of all time...
written by Anni Kayser, first published on 11.7.22
Cover/Collage - Photos: Netfalls; wlablack/Getty Images via canva.com
Sources: own research; The Times/Philip Willan: "Mayor outlaws bikinis to spare Sorrento's blushes - Tourists threatened with €500 fines in Italian resort town".