The cover picture shows the Ferris wheel in Piambino (Tuscany) in the storm (Photo: Twitter/EugenioGiani)
The weather strikes with concentrated power in northern Italy: a trail of devastation, dozens injured, two dead. The danger is not over yet, experts warn.
- 8 reasons why Italy is particularly beautiful in winter
- FRIAUL-JULIAN-VENETIA - Free train tickets with booking
For months, especially the north of Italy has been suffering from extreme heat and drought. Heavy rain and storms dramatically worsened the situation as of Thursday morning (18 August). High water, flooding, gusts of more than 100 km/h, buildings and cars damaged, beaches devastated.
Tuscany and Veneto declares a state of emergency. The Civil Defence establishes a crisis team. The storm warning for the north is extended until Friday evening (19 August).
Storm tears gondolas off Ferris wheel
A #Piombino durante il passaggio del violento fronte temporalesco. Allerta gialla estesa fino a domani! pic.twitter.com/sVn9OeOfpM- Eugenio Giani (@EugenioGiani) August 18, 2022
The situation is particularly dramatic in Tuscany. A man and a woman are killed by falling trees in the coastal town of Carrara in Tuscany. Dozens of trees collapse at the campsite in Marina di Massa (Tuscany), many injured.
A trail of destruction. 45,000 households are temporarily without electricity in Tuscany.
In Venice, the storm knocks down umbrellas and tables. According to media reports, pieces of the wall of the famous St Mark's Basilica have broken off. Parts of St Mark's Square are temporarily closed for safety reasons.
In addition, a video of the incoming downwind gusts (#Downburst) in the centre of #Venice #Venice #Venezia pic.twitter.com/76O0tZHBtg- Storm Science Austria (@StormAustria) August 18, 2022
The situation in Liguria is also dramatic. The railway line southeast of Genoa is temporarily closed due to storm damage. Heavy hailstorms in Liguria affect agriculture in particular.
This is how dramatically the weather deteriorates in 22 seconds
On Facebook, a user publishes pictures of the harbour webcam of Sestri Levante in Liguria: Within seconds, the sea becomes a raging sea. Here is the complete video:
According to the Italian farmers' association Coldiretti, the current hailstorms, storms and floods have destroyed more crops of fruit and vegetables, grape rubs and olive groves.
The reason for the violent storms: Cold air from northern Europe meets warm air in the Mediterranean region. The result is heavy downpours.
France (especially the island of Corsica) and Austria (especially the region of Carinthia) are even more severely affected by the storms than Italy. According to the latest information, eleven people died in the storms.
Current Stories from Italy
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- TOP 10 with money - The richest women in ItalyWhile Italy's super-rich men make no secret of their billions, see Silvio Berlusconi, the richest women in the country are much more discreet.
- Italy's Metropolis - All You Need to Know about MILANItaly's economic engine, fashion metropolis, seven universities, gourmet paradise and financial centre: Milan has an incredible number of faces.
- EXQUISITE CUISINE - Record! 385 Michelin stars for ItalyA shower of stars for Bella Italia! In the new Michelin Guide, more stars than ever before go to Italy. Almost 400 Italian restaurants have been awarded.
- PASTA-QUIZ - How well do you know Italian pasta?Lasagne, spaghetti, penne, cannelloni or tortellini: How good do you taste pasta from Italy? Are you a real connoisseur or do you eat everything on your plate?
- GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA (†95) - The first Italian super diva: a country takes a bowRome - At her greatest times, she made the otherwise undercooled blonde beauties in Hollywood sweat. Gina Lollobrigida was an icon of international cinema.
- TOP 10! - These Italian films are blockbustersGreat cinema from Italy! Which Italian films have performed best in the cinemas? Here is the current TOP 10 ranking of the most successful movies of all time...
first published on 19 August 2022, written by Annie Kayser
Sources: own research; daily press (La Stampa, Corriere della Serra); Facebook, Twitter