Weird, curious or totally gaga: Welcome to our special ranking of the gaga laws from Italy. Whether kissing, sandcastles or hunting season - there are some pretty balla-balla rules in Bella Italia.
- Women first! In Catholic Palermo in Sicily, only women are allowed to lie completely naked on the beach. It is forbidden for men. P.S. Not surprisingly, the ladies usually waive their nudist privilege.
- So much for excavator fever: In the small town of Eraclea (Veneto) it is forbidden to dig holes in the sand - sand castles are taboo anyway.
- No groping! In Eboli (Campania), kissing too intimately in a car is punishable by a fine of 500 euros.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in Italy
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legend
- If you live in the countryside in Italy, the fence around your garden should be at least 1.80 metres high. If it is lower, hunters are allowed to stalk in your garden at any time during the hunting season (usually from October to December).
Rattling on Capri
- No noise allowed! On the tourist island of Capri, it is forbidden to clatter while walking. Anyone caught with a wooden knocker has to pay 50 euros. That doesn't leave much for a 10-euro espresso.
- 3000 Euro for sand theft and wrong towel use! A day on the beach at Stintino in Sicily can be really expensive. Because of the large crowds, only 1500 people per day are allowed on the extremely white and fine-grained beach from June to September. To avoid losing too much sand, a bast mat must be placed between the towel and the sand. Sand theft is punishable by fines of up to 3000 euros.
Still legendary, but no longer in use: the fridge tax. You had to pay an annual tax of 15 euros per fridge. With a good 50 million fridges in the country, this was a good source of income...
Feeling wanderlust for Italy? Find a flight...
- Why in Italy everyone Dottore is - read...
- What you experience at the Spanish Steps in Rome...
- Why Argentina is actually Italian...
More stories from Italy...
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- SOPHIA LOREN - The story of a super divaSophia Loren (88), the super diva from Italy, A skinny girl from Naples who becomes Hollywood's favourite. In show business for 60 years.
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetariansDepending on which region you are in Italy, you automatically eat vegetarian (or vegan). Everything you need to know about vegans and vegetarians in Italy...
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its handsFull body effort is also required when speaking in Italy. Scientists have discovered why people in Bella Italia talk with their hands.
- CHEESE LOVE - Buffalo mozzarella, burrata or fior di latte?It's almost a feeling of being in love when you bite into mozzarella: Fresh, creamy milk flavour, delicately melting aromas. Seduction in white.
- The Godfather: The Best Quotes from the Mafia Movie
- Bella Venezia: The Curse of Beauty!
- Social Media in Italy: Stars & Trends
written by Annie Kayser, first pulished 13.11.21
Cover: Industrial Photograph via canva.com
Sources: Merkur: "Other countries, other customs: bizarre laws abroad"; Sardinia intimate: strict regulations for bathers: entrance fee, towel ban and 3000 euro fine for sand theft at La Pelosa; Funnypage: "Senseless laws from Italy"; Blick: "These 15 crazy laws in Italy you should know".