The US pizza chain Domino's is withdrawing from Italy. In the motherland of pizza, the fast food giant stumbled. Goodbye, Pizza Hawaii...
Domino's claims to have more than 19,000 branches in more than 90 countries. Now, of all places, it is no longer in Italy. The chain has closed all its branches there, as reported by Bloomberg, among others.
After seven years, the pizza ovens go out. Goodbye Pizza Hawaii, pepperoni, pineapple and cheese-filled crust. The US versions of the pizza found only moderate sales. When virtually all restaurants offered delivery service during the pandemic, that was supposedly the death blow.
The US giant actually had big plans for Bella Italia. 880 pizza branches were to be built. In fact, only 29 branches were opened, and in the end only 13 were still open.
Delicious! This is how Italy eats from North to South...
Domino's Italy franchisee ePizza had already filed for insolvency in April, at the same time discontinuing a large part of its service. The last grace period expired at the end of July.
In 2015, the first shop opened in Milan. Branches followed in the north in Turin, Bologna, Parma and then Rome. Domino's never ventured to Naples, the birthplace of the Pizza Margherita, during its brief Italian sojourn.
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green gold
- EXQUISITE CUISINE - Record! 385 Michelin stars for Italy
By the way, Domino's is doing extremely well in Germany. Extravagant insider tips on the menu there are - attention, please - the variants "Crazy Dogs", pizza with sausages, Danish gherkins, ketchup, remoulade and fried onions, as well as "Bombay", topped with chicken, pineapple, curry sauce and broccoli...
Current Stories from Italy
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- TOP 10 with money - The richest women in ItalyWhile Italy's super-rich men make no secret of their billions, see Silvio Berlusconi, the richest women in the country are much more discreet.
- Italy's Metropolis - All You Need to Know about MILANItaly's economic engine, fashion metropolis, seven universities, gourmet paradise and financial centre: Milan has an incredible number of faces.
- EXQUISITE CUISINE - Record! 385 Michelin stars for ItalyA shower of stars for Bella Italia! In the new Michelin Guide, more stars than ever before go to Italy. Almost 400 Italian restaurants have been awarded.
- PASTA-QUIZ - How well do you know Italian pasta?Lasagne, spaghetti, penne, cannelloni or tortellini: How good do you taste pasta from Italy? Are you a real connoisseur or do you eat everything on your plate?
- GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA (†95) - The first Italian super diva: a country takes a bowRome - At her greatest times, she made the otherwise undercooled blonde beauties in Hollywood sweat. Gina Lollobrigida was an icon of international cinema.
- TOP 10! - These Italian films are blockbustersGreat cinema from Italy! Which Italian films have performed best in the cinemas? Here is the current TOP 10 ranking of the most successful movies of all time...
Sources: Bloomberg: "Domino's Pizza Quits Italy After Locals Shun American Pies" (bloomberg.com); Milano Today:
"Domino's Pizza fallisce: chiudono tutti i ristoranti in Italia; own research
Cover/Montage - Photos: Prashant Kariya/Getty Images via canva.com
Photos Advertising/Montage: Amazon; foxys_forest_manufacture/Getty Images, nortonrsx /Getty Images Pro via canva.com