The US pizza chain Domino's is withdrawing from Italy. In the motherland of pizza, the fast food giant stumbled. Goodbye, Pizza Hawaii...
Domino's claims to have more than 19,000 branches in more than 90 countries. Now, of all places, it is no longer in Italy. The chain has closed all its branches there, as reported by Bloomberg, among others.
After seven years, the pizza ovens go out. Goodbye Pizza Hawaii, pepperoni, pineapple and cheese-filled crust. The US versions of the pizza found only moderate sales. When virtually all restaurants offered delivery service during the pandemic, that was supposedly the death blow.
The US giant actually had big plans for Bella Italia. 880 pizza branches were to be built. In fact, only 29 branches were opened, and in the end only 13 were still open.
Domino's Italy franchisee ePizza had already filed for insolvency in April, at the same time discontinuing a large part of its service. The last grace period expired at the end of July.
In 2015, the first shop opened in Milan. Branches followed in the north in Turin, Bologna, Parma and then Rome. Domino's never ventured to Naples, the birthplace of the Pizza Margherita, during its brief Italian sojourn.
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green gold
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetarians
By the way, Domino's is doing extremely well in Germany. Extravagant insider tips on the menu there are - attention, please - the variants "Crazy Dogs", pizza with sausages, Danish gherkins, ketchup, remoulade and fried onions, as well as "Bombay", topped with chicken, pineapple, curry sauce and broccoli...
Current Stories from Italy
- Olive oil from Italy - All about the green goldItaly and the olive trees, an ancient love story. Italian cuisine without olive oil is unimaginable. Today, olives are a billion-dollar business.
- Where everyone wants to go! - The 10 most popular cities in ItalyForewarning: Could get fuller, especially in summer! The 10 most popular cities and places in Italy: This is where many people would like to go (at least) once in their lives...
- SOPHIA LOREN - The story of a super divaSophia Loren (88), the super diva from Italy, A skinny girl from Naples who becomes Hollywood's favourite. In show business for 60 years.
- MEATLESS IN ITALY - Everything for vegans and vegetariansDepending on which region you are in Italy, you automatically eat vegetarian (or vegan). Everything you need to know about vegans and vegetarians in Italy...
- RESEARCHED! - Why Italy speaks with its handsFull body effort is also required when speaking in Italy. Scientists have discovered why people in Bella Italia talk with their hands.
- CHEESE LOVE - Buffalo mozzarella, burrata or fior di latte?It's almost a feeling of being in love when you bite into mozzarella: Fresh, creamy milk flavour, delicately melting aromas. Seduction in white.
- HOLIDAY IN RIMINI - The whole story of the Adriatic legendQuietly and secretly, the legendary place on the Adriatic has given itself a facelift. So much for 80s fustiness and permanent parties. Rimini, the whole story.
- EMOZIONI! - Italian hits to sing along withGoosebumps, longing and memories you didn't even have. There are the Italian songs that go straight to the heart.
Sources: Bloomberg: "Domino's Pizza Quits Italy After Locals Shun American Pies" (bloomberg.com); Milano Today:
"Domino's Pizza fallisce: chiudono tutti i ristoranti in Italia; own research
Cover/Montage - Photos: Prashant Kariya/Getty Images via canva.com
Photos Advertising/Montage: Amazon; foxys_forest_manufacture/Getty Images, nortonrsx /Getty Images Pro via canva.com